Thursday, October 23, 2008

A bewilderingly happy day

time: 12:40pm

place: Kitchen


It was weird today. I awoke a minute before my alarm and that never happens to me. Most of the time I wake up one to two hours before my alarm. Anyway, I got ready and headed out the door. I got to seven eleven and grabbed my morning coffee. It was better than most and that was also surprising. The parking lot was a little outrageous this morning but not that bad. I walked toward the left side of the G building. I ran into my brother and Courtney, both walking the same way. It was weird. I then made my way behind the building toward the direction of the E building. As I was walking down the sidewalk, I ran into Cassandra. It was mystifying. I haven't seen that girl in a while. The one place that I happen to run into her, it was just weird. I got into class and everyone seemed to be in a good mood. People had smiles on their faces and seemed to be more astute. I walked to my second class with a girl from women studies. We were talking about the grades that we got on our research papers. I was kind of surprised that I got a B+ on the paper; I thought that I was going to do better than that. At the bottom of the paper though, It says that I can rewrite it for a better grade, so I was happy. I got into Geography class and it was the same atmosphere. The teacher walked in with a big smile on her face when she said hello to everyone. The whole class went by really fast, and that never happens in that class. It was just a really weird day. On the way out of the building, I ran into Courtney again. She was sneezing like crazy.

Anyway it just seemed like a really happy day for some reason. Then I came home and read an article in the Rollingstone magazine. It was about the Taliban in Afghanistan, and how it has only gotten worse. The horrific picture that it showed in the article was scary. There were myriad body parts, askew in the streets. Blood was strewn over everything, and explosions were depicted in the back. It was a little traumatizing. We're so lucky that these violent acts are not seen here in the states. If everyone could see, first hand, the atrocities that were being made in these countries, there would be more outrage over the war. Instead, people will go about living in their ignorant bliss, until something of that magnitude comes hurtling here. Its sad and pathetic. No one in this country, knows the meaning of terror, fear, or pain.

So I guess the day ended up canceling itself out, in a way. How could I be so selfish in thinking this was such a great day. A great day will come when this violence, STOPS.

No comments: