Monday, February 9, 2009

English Papers on Poems

I'm writing a paper on the poem, Tiara, by Mark Doty. I was ravaging my brain on what my thesis statement, and topic sentences should be, for next class. So I figured, since the poem was written in 1991, I could get some information on Mark Doty. Then I could really understand the person behind the poem. So, I checked around and found that he had a blog. I started to read some entries and realized that he used blogger. Then I thought, duh, I have one and I haven't written anything in forever. So here I am just writing some thoughts and reading some Mark Doty poems. The poem, Tiara, was a clear hint that he definitely knew the gays or if not, was one, so I wanted to do that poem. All of the other poems that were assigned were from poets that died almost two hundred years ago, and who wants to do a poem from two hundred years ago. It's a great poem and if you have not read it before I suggest you do. Especially if you know how fabulous drag queens are.
So anyway, I think the real message of the poem is simple: If you love passionately, free of restrictions, be prepared for certain consequences, though the consequences aren't fair. I think that might be it, but there are many interpretations of a poem. Everyone has there own opinion, unless, Mark Doty himself tells you really what his poem meant. I love when I can write about gay things and get graded on it, it has so much more pertinence to the world around me. So, I have to write the paper then. Peace!

No comments: